ADEN, Yemen, July 29 (Xinhua) -- Fighters of the Houthi group continued to launch random artillery shelling against residential areas in the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah on Monday, leaving several civilians injured, a government official told Xinhua.
"A series of mortar shells randomly hit houses in Durayhmi district, leaving 4 children and a woman injured, some critically," the official said on condition of anonymity.
Meanwhile, a medical source confirmed to Xinhua that the field hospital received a number of injured people "as a result of indiscriminate mortar shelling launched by the Houthis."
On Monday, military sources linked to the pro-government forces said mortar shells landed on a residential area in Tuhyata district in the south of Hodeidah, seriously injuring two children.
The Houthi-fired shells also damaged some houses of citizens in Tuhyata, the local Yemeni sources said.
The Iran-allied Houthi rebels control much of Hodeidah while the Saudi-backed government troops have advanced to the southeastern districts of the city.
Hodeidah is the lifeline entry point for Yemen's most food imports and humanitarian aid. The more than four-year civil war has pushed over 20 million people to the verge of starvation.
The Yemeni warring parties reached a peace deal on Hodeidah in December last year as the first step toward a comprehensive political solution.
Sporadic clashes, however, are daily recorded in Hodeidah as the two sides failed to withdraw their forces in accordance with the UN-sponsored agreement reached in the Swedish capital.